Gioia is an authentic modern Italian cook. She learned from her uncle Barone Sebastian Bonmartini Fini who created delicious meals beautifully paired with Barone Fini wines. Today, as a busy mother of three, Gioia’s modern take on Italian cooking focuses on seasonal ingredients. She entertains often and loves hosting holiday gatherings for family and friends. She is excited to share her favorite recipes to pair with Barone Fini wines — because a meal with a lovely glass of wine, is always an opportunity to enjoy time together.
(Italian doughnuts also known as zeppoles)
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 ¼ cups of milk
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 tsp of dry beer yeast
- 1 glass of Barone Fini Pinot Grigio
- 3 ½ oz raisins
- 3 eggs
- Lemon rind
- Oil for frying
- Powdered sugar
1. Soak the raisins in a glass of Barone Fini Pinot Grigio for 1 hour.
2. Combine milk, sugar and dry beer yeast in a large pot, make sure the yeast is dissolved well.
3. Add the flour and eggs to the large pot. Mix ingredients.
4. Add lemon rind to the large pot. Mix ingredients.
5. Leave the mixture to rise in a warm place at 86°F for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
6. Remove raisins from the wine and squeeze the raisins well with your hands. Add to large pot.
7. Add oil to a large pan and heat it.
8. Drop 1 tablespoon of the frittelle mixture at a time to the pan until you have used all of the batter.
9. Cook each frittelle for 2 to 3 minutes, turning the frittelles while they cook.
10. Remove frittelles from pan and cover with powdered sugar.