Gioia is an authentic modern Italian cook. She learned from her uncle Barone Sebastian Bonmartini Fini who created delicious meals beautifully paired with Barone Fini wines. Today, as a busy mother of three, Gioia’s modern take on Italian cooking focuses on seasonal ingredients. She entertains often and loves hosting holiday gatherings for family and friends. She is excited to share her favorite recipes to pair with Barone Fini wines — because a meal with a lovely glass of wine, is always an opportunity to enjoy time together.
Christmas Eve Pork Roast
- 2 ½ lb pork loin, trimmed of fat and butterflied
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped in medium dice
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped in medium dice
- ½ cup plain Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Barone Fini Pinot Grigio
- 1 cup sweetened sun-dried cranberries
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil spray
- Parchment paper on roasting pan
- Cooking twine (cut piece 4x the length of loin)
• Preheat Oven to 425°
• Spray pan with olive oil, then over medium high heat, gently sauté the onion and fennel. Once the vegetables are just starting to brown, deglaze with a cup of Barone Fini Pinot Grigio. After 3 minutes add 1 cup sun-dried cranberries and ½ tsp of kosher salt. Cook another 3 mins, then remove from heat. Toss with breadcrumbs
• Lay butterflied pork loin on clean surface fat side down. Once inch from the sides of the meat, spread vegetable/breadcrumb mix evenly on pork.
• Roll meat starting from non-fat end with crumb mixture inside. Starting from one end, snugly tie rolled meat with kitchen twine.
• Place rolled, tied meat on parchment paper (this is how to save time on clean up!) covered roasting pan – seam side down. Spray lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with chopped rosemary, salt and pepper.
• Cook for 30 mins, then lower temperature to 350°. Continue to cook at 350° for another 60-90 minutes; a meat thermometer should confirm the roast is done when the temperature reads between 155° to 165°. Remove from oven, cover lightly with tinfoil – rest at least 10 mins.
• To serve, remove string, slice and garnish with additional dried cranberries!